Click to play this Smilebox slideshow
Create your own slideshow - Powered by Smilebox
This slideshow design created with Smilebox
Diane and Greg flew down from Littleton, Mass. to join Bobbie and I for a week long Captain/Admiral only cruise around the islands. Having just retired from the Florist industry, Greg and Bobbie Rae had much to talk about. And Diane being a psychotherapist, well she was in hog heaven with us crazies! Day1—After provisioning and a sleep aboard, we shoved off on Day 1 sailing the south side of St. John, stopping at Salt Pond Bay to hike Ram’s Head. Then on to Coral Bay and Skinny Legs, where we met Greg’s high school friend Patrick and his partner Carlos and friends. It was Sat. night, and a great band was playing. I had played with them before, and before I knew it I was playing with them again, everything from Route 66 to Folsum Prison. —Day 2 saw us weigh anchor and we made for Road Towne where we checked into the BVI. The wind became nonexistent and after a couple hours of just floating around we ended up in Deadman’s Bay of Peter Island. Set the stern anchor to minimize the effects of the surge that typically comes in there, and the girls proceeded to swim to the hammock onshore where Greg and I soon joined them. Dinner was had aboard and we watched the almost full moon rise. Then off to the spa for an almost full moon hot tub overlooking the ocean. WOW!! Back to the boat for an early night to sleep. —Day 3 began with a swim and beach jog, then we set sail on the Southerly wind to make the North Sound, Virgin Gorda, with stops at the Wreck of the Rhone (too rough for enjoyable snorkeling) and Salt Island. The South wind permitted us to sail up to the Bathes on one starboard tack, but alas the red flag was flying because of the large northerly ground swell, making a swim into the Bathes too dangerous. No matter, we had a GREAT sail up to Gorda Sound in time to anchor at Robin’s Bay and dinghy over to see Micheal Bean’s pirate show. FUN!! Then back to the boat for a wonderful pasta dinner cooked entirely by our guests. Then an evening tour of Gorda Sound, including the Mega Yacht Center (Club Esmeralda), the defunct Biras Creek (lets shed a tear for years gone by…), and the Bitter End. —Day 4 saw us at the West End of Anegada, where the swell and surf made us reconsider our position and so we moved to the Anchorage just before dark (and just before a squall hit). After some onboard accordion music featuring Bobbie Rae’s harmonics, Driver Mitch (or Leroy, we could never quite get his name!) met us at the Lobster Trap and drove back to Palmetto Point restaurant (where we originally made dinner plans) for a great meal. The full moon made its appearance and the night was complete. —Day 5 After a leisurely breakfast we took a safari to Loblolly Bay. The currents were ferocious and the surf was breaking over the reef, but the snorkeling inside the reef was fabulous. We had a delicious late after-snorkel lunch at Big Bamboo, then back to Bel Ami to weigh anchor for a sunset sail down the Sir Francis Drake Channel. The wind was blowing on our beam and we averaged 7-8 knots to the lee of Great Camanoe Island, where we found wonderful shelter in Lee Bay. A rising huge moon graced our presence and topped off the night. —Day 6 Early to rise and we made way to Norman Island and the Bight. After a great snorkel along the shore lining the Bight, our guests Greg and Diane spent some shore time at Pirate’s Bight while Bobbie Rae and I enjoyed some boat time together. After dinner we visited the Willi-T to view some first hand debauchery, with groups of three jumping naked off the 2nd story. —Day 7 Fantastic snorkeling in the caves and the Indians. Went to shove off and the switches on the windlass were not operating correctly, so replaced them. Greg appreciated having to some some mechanical work. Then on to Jost Van Dyke with Diane at the wheel most of the time. —Day 8 was back to St. Thomas where we bid farewell to Greg and Diane, ending another great trip!