Click to play this Smilebox slideshow
Create your own slideshow - Powered by Smilebox
Personalize a slideshow design
Chris had an itinerary. Which sorta got tossed overboard upon coming aboard. Wind flowing fiercely out of the north associated with north swells, we decided to head to the south side of St. John out of harm’s way. At a steady 25 with gusts to 30, we took a port tack towards Ram’s Head, stopping off at Reef Bay to hike to the petroglyphs and visit the old sugar mill as the base of the Reef Bay Trail. Then on to the wind shadow of Ram’s Head where we enjoyed a relatively protected mooring while hoping to catch the sunset. Next day we decided to move into Salt Pond Bay to pick up a mooring closer to the snorkeling. While Wayne and I went hiking first to Drunk Bay and then up to Ram’s head (mmm, delicious red cactus berries), Chris braved the challenging snorkeling conditions. After hiking Wayne ventured out with yours truly. We saw a big (BIG) lobster as well as a green moray eel hiding in a coral head. Salt Pond Bay was not disappointing! Next day we tacked to Road Towne to check into the BVI, then back across the Sir Francis Drake Channel to Cooper Island where we threw the anchor down in the sand at Haulover Bay to enjoy another spectacular anchorage. Again fabulous snorkeling, including a shark that I saw out by the point (cool!!). Dawn cracked its early morning, we shoved off and headed around the south side of Cooper Island into the big seas of the Caribbean. And big seas they were, biggest Admiral Bobbie Rae ever saw. We beat against the waves for about 45 minutes then headed back between Ginger and Cooper and up into the Sir Francis Drake Channel, making for Gorda Sound. Little did we know that the Mega Sailing Yacht Regatta was happening. Wow!! Giant sailing yachts 200+ feet racing up our stern, looking to run us over. We moved like snails in getting out of their way. Made Leverick Bay in Gorda Sound early afternoon, rented a car and drove to the Bathes where we spent a delightful afternoon. On the way back to Leverick we stopped at Hog Heaven to take in the view overlooking Gorda Sound. In the distance we could barely make out Anegada, our destination for the next day. Once there we discovered that we arrived at the end of the Dark and Stormy Regatta, and the sailors were partying hardy. Carlson drove us to Loblolly Bay, which was too rough to swim/snorkel, so we just hung out at the beautiful beach and drank some bushwhackers (OK, I had 2!). Dinner was had at the Anegada Reef Hotel, where we greatly enjoyed each other’s company. Next morning was an early sail back down the channel to the Bight at Norman Island. Rain showers graced the last half of the trip and drenched us as we made the Bight. Wayne had an afternoon snorkel which he raved about, BBQ dinner, some accordion (including playing Runaway to the power boat Runaway parked nearby. Next day back to St. Thomas for the conclusion of a wonderful week of sailing. We now have new friends with Wayne and Chris of Ohiopyle, PA!